Sunday, June 6, 2010

Math Reflection 2 Pg. 45

1. y=mx+b is a linear equation that can be used to help set up a real linear equation.

M is the rate. For example it could be 7 for the amount of minutes it takes to run 1 mile.

Y is the dependent variable or the output. For example it could be the amount of miles you run in a certain time.

X is the independent variable or input. For example y could be the number of hours/time.
B is the y-intercept. B is the number added on to m times x.


2a. A table of graph for a linear relationship can be used to solve a problem. A table can be used by looking at the y and x columns and seeing if there is any pattern. If there is no patterns look in between each row for each column. Record them down and if you can make a ratio do it. If the ratios for each column equal each other that means the table is linear. The graph can be used by if the line is straight or not. If the line is straight that means the graph is linear. If the line is not straight that means the graph is not linear.

2b. I have used a equation to solve a problem before. I wanted to know how long it would take me to run 3 miles. I knew that I can run a mile in 6 minutes 30 seconds. My first equation was t=6.5m. T is minutes taken to run. M is the amount of miles. Then I realized that I would probably be off by 2 minutes because my rate would be slower so I added 2 minutes. My new equation is 6.5m+2=t. That means it would take me 21 minutes and 30 seconds to run 3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment